- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the coleslaw
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 1 tsp light miso paste
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ limes, juice only
- 1 small red onion, quartered, finely shredded
- 175g red cabbage, core removed, finely shredded
- 50 g baby spinach
For the mackerel
- 4 mackerel, filleted, or 8 mackerel fillets, skin scored
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 spring onions, very finely sliced
- 4 wedges limes
Tips and Suggestions
If you have one, use a mandolin to shred the onion and cabbage, which will give them a lovely fine texture.
1. For the coleslaw: mix the mustard, miso, vinegar and soy sauce together in a bowl then gradually whisk in the oils and lime juice, to taste. Tip the onion, cabbage and spinach into a bowl, pour over the miso dressing and toss to combine. Set aside.
2. For the mackerel: season the mackerel with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat a large heavy-based frying pan over a high heat until smoking hot. Pour in the olive oil then add the mackerel fillets to the pan, skin-side down.
3. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and the flesh is starting to turn opaque, then turn the mackerel over. Turn off the heat and leave the mackerel to finish cooking in the residual heat.
4. To serve, divide the coleslaw between 4 serving plates, top each with 2 mackerel fillets, sprinkle over the spring onions and garnish with a wedge of lime.
Rate This Recipe