- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the borscht salad
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 80 g butter
- 400 g raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp red wine
- 1 heaped tbsp caster sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-4 tsp freshly grated horseradish, or hot horseradish from a jar (not creamed horseradish), or to taste
For the dill crème fraîche
- 6 tbsp crème fraîche
- 3 tbsp dill
- 1 tsp freshly grated horseradish, or hot horseradish from a jar (not creamed horseradish), plus extra to serve
For the mackerel
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 whole mackerel, cleaned, gutted and filleted (or 8 fresh mackerel fillets)
1. For the borscht salad: bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, add the onions and boil for 1 minute then drain and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat then add the grated beetroot, red wine vinegar, red wine and caster sugar. Season with salt and black pepper and give everything a good stir. Tuck in the bay leaf and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the beetroot is softened, then stir in the onion.
3. Stir in the horseradish and add a splash of boiling water if the mixture is too dry. Set aside, keeping warm.
4. For the dill crème fraîche: mix all of the ingredients together and set aside.
5. For the mackerel: heat the olive oil in a large, heavy based frying pan over a high heat. Fry the mackerel, skin-side-down, for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked two-thirds of the way through and the skin is crisp, then turn the mackerel and cook for a further 30 seconds.
6. To serve, spoon the borscht salad onto serving plates, top with the mackerel, skin-side-up, then spoon over the dill crème fraîche. Grate over a little extra horseradish, if you like.
Rate This Recipe