- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 medium onions, diced into 2cm chunks
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 150 ml red wine
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 1 pinches sugar
- 8 small mackerel fillets
- 4 tbsp capers, well rinsed
- 12 olives, stoned and halved
- 4 sprigs leaves rosemary, chopped
- 4 tbsp finely grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6. In a shallow, ovenproof dish, large enough to hold the mackerel in a single layer, sweat the onions and garlic in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until soft, around 5 minutes.
2. Add the red wine and reduce by half. Add the tinned tomatoes and the chicken stock, season lightly with salt, pepper and sugar and bring to the boil.
3. Boil the tomato mixture for 5 minutes, then top with the mackerel fillets, turning them a few times in the sauce to get it well coated and submerged.
4.Sprinkle over the capers, halved olives, rosemary, Parmesan and remaining olive oil, cover with greaseproof paper and bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Serve straight from the oven.
Rate This Recipe