- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 mackerel, 225g each, gutted and with the fins trimmed
- black pepper
- 25 g butter
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 225 g rhubarb, chopped
- 25 g sugar
- 2 gooseberries
- edible flowers
1. Preheat the grill to the highest setting.
2. Rinse the mackerel with water and then dry. Make three diagonal slashes into the flesh on each side of each mackerel, cutting nearly to the bone. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the shallot and fry gently for 5 minutes without colouring.
4. Add the rhubarb. Cook until the rhubarb becomes tender and thickens into a thick puree. Pass through a sieve.
5. Grill the mackerel for 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
6. Arrange the mackerel on a warm serving dish, decorate with gooseberries and edible flowers, and serve with the sauce on the side.
Rate This Recipe