- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the magic mountain salmon:
- 4x140 g slices salmon
- 25 g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small leek, cut into lengths, blanched and drained
- 200 ml olive oil, plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100 g crumbly lancashire cheese
- 1 bunches fresh spinach, washed, drained and patted dry
- 1 bunches magic mountain, (or basil)
For the Wandsworth carrots
- 400 g young carrots
- 300 ml Vichy water or mineral water
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 blood orange, peeled and cut into segments
- pureed cooked potatoes
- sprigs herbs
Tips and Suggestions
Magic mountain is the species of basil most commonly used for cosmetics, herbal remedies, perfumes and flavoured alcohol.
1. For the magic mountain salmon: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Take each piece of salmon, top with a little chopped ginger, roll up to enclose the ginger, then wrap lengths of leek around each one.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan, add the salmon and cook until sealed all over, turning occasionally. Remove the salmon to a plate and keep warm.
3. Heat a second tablespoon of olive oil in the pan, add the shallot and garlic and fry lightly for 2 minutes or until softened. Remove from the heat, spoon the mixture into a blender or food processor, then add the cheese, magic mountain, spinach and remaining 200ml of olive oil and blend until smooth and well mixed.
4. Smear some of the magic mountain puree on top of each salmon fillet. Put the salmon fillets on a non-stick baking tray and bake in the oven for about 3 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and keep warm.
5. For the Wandsworth carrots: cut narrow strips of flesh from each carrot, cutting lengthways at intervals, using a canelle knife, then slice the carrots into thin rounds.
6. Put the sliced carrots in a pan, cover with the water, add the sugar, salt and butter and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer over a low heat for about 5 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the sauce reduced. Stir in the chopped parsley.
7. To serve, arrange the carrots on warmed serving plates, scatter with the blood orange segments, place the salmon fillets on top and finish with the pureed potatoes and herb sprigs. It's magic!!!
Rate This Recipe