- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes 1 hour marinade time
- Effort: easy
- 1 (1.3 - 1.8 kg) chicken, cut into 8 pieces and skinned ((or 6 chicken breast portions)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 glass white wine
- 2 preserved lemons, rinsed in cold water and halved (or 2 fresh lemons, washed and halved)
- 175 g green olive, pitted
- 120 g chickpeas
- 75 g raisins
- 600 ml stock, chicken or vegetable
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
1. Pat dry the chicken pieces. Combine all the spices in a large bowl, then add the chicken pieces to coat well with the spice mixture. Let the chicken marinate for 1 hour in the spices.
2. In a large frying pan or non-stick saucepan with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook for 7 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Lower the heat to medium-low, then add the garlic and onion. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
3. Add the white wine (the alcohol will evaporate), lemon halves, olives, chickpeas, raisins, and stock. Bring to simmer over a medium heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for an additional 35-45 minutes, stirring regularly, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
4. Mix in the chopped coriander and parsley, then serve immediately.
5. Serve with spicy couscous or rice.
Rate This Recipe