- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 600 ml milk
- finely grated zest of 1 lemons
- 50 g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 100 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 3-4 tbsp raspberry jam
For the meringue topping:
- 4 egg whites
- 225 g caster sugar
Tips and Suggestions
This recipe contains lightly cooked eggs. Raw or lightly cooked eggs should not be served to young children, elderly people, invalids and pregnant women because of the risk of salmonella poisoning.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Bring the milk and lemon to boil in a pan. Set aside to infuse for 10 minutes.
3. Add the butter and sugar to the infused milk and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the breadcrumbs, then beat in the egg yolks.
5. Pour into a 1.7 litre soufflé dish and place in a roasting tray. Pour hot water into the tray around the soufflé dish until the water reaches halfway up the sides of the dish.
6. Bake for 30 minutes until set, remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly. Increase the oven temperature to 230°C/gas 8.
7. To make the meringue topping, whisk the egg whites lightly. Gradually beat in the caster sugar until soft peaks form.
8. Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the baked bread custard, then top with the beaten egg whites.
9. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the meringue is lightly set. Serve warm from the oven.
Rate This Recipe