- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the dumplings
- 100 g rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 80-90 ml warm water
- 20 g coconut cream, grated
For the curry
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 9 black peppercorns
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- pinch cardamom seeds
- 1-2 tsp red chilli powder, or to taste
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, one half finely chopped and the other coarsely chopped
- 80 g coconut cream, broken up
- 600 ml water
- 2 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
- 1.5-2 tsp tamarind paste
- 400 g prawns
1. To make the dumplings; mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl to a soft pliable dough.
2. Divide into 12 pieces and roll into balls or little cones.
3. Steam for 15 minutes and set aside.
4. To make the curry; place all the spices, garlic, the coarsely chopped onion, coconut and 200ml water in a blender and blend until very smooth.
5. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the remaining onion until light brown.
6. Add the spice paste and cook until all the water has been absorbed.
7. Continue cooking the paste for another 6-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
8. Add the remaining water, tamarind paste and salt to taste and bring to the boil.
9. Cook over a mediumheat for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the salt and tamarind paste if necessary.
10. Add the prawns and simmer over a low heat for 3-4 minutes.
11. Add the dumplings and simmer for another minute or until the prawns are cooked.
Rate This Recipe