- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the meringue
- 2 large egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
For the mess
- 200 ml double cream
- 50 g raspberries
- 2-4 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 ripe mango, peeled and cut into cubes
- 50 g meringues, (bought or homemade), broken into bite-sized chunks
1. For the meringue: preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. Place the egg whites in a large, spotlessly clean bowl or in an electric food mixer and whisk in the mixer, or using a hand-held electric beater, until they form soft peaks. With the machine still running, gradually pour in the caster sugar and keep whisking for about 5 minutes or until the meringue mixture forms stiff glossy peaks.
3. Spoon 4 large blobs of meringue onto the baking sheet, spaced well apart. Using the back of your spoon, spread each blob into a round about 8cm in diameter, then use the spoon to make a well in the centre.
4. Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp on the outside but still marshmallowy in the middle. To check that they're done, carefully lift one off the paper: if it comes away cleanly, it's ready. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. (Don't worry if they crack a bit around the edges it's part of their charm.)
5. For the mess: pour the cream into a bowl and whip into soft peaks. Mix together the raspberries with the sugar, taste for sweetness, adding more sugar if necessary. Then fold in with the meringue, whipped cream and mango pieces.
6. Divide between four small bowls or large glasses and serve.
Recipe taken from Rachel Allen's Easy Meals.
Rate This Recipe