- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: easy
- 1 ripe but firm mango
- 4 passion fruit
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 600 ml evaporated milk
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 mango
- pinches ground cardamom
- 150 ml single cream
1. Mix the cornflour with one tablespoon of cold water and set to one side.
2. Quickly bring the evaporated milk to the boil in a non-stick saucepan. Add the cornflour mixture and simmer for 2 minutes until it is the consistency of pouring custard. Stir in the sugar until dissolved, then transfer to a bowl and leave to go cold.
3. Peel the mango and slice the flesh away from the stone. Place in a food processor and blend to a smooth purée.
4. Stir the mango purée, ground cardamom and cream into the custard, and then press the mixture through a sieve into a clean bowl.
5. Now you can either churn the mixture in an ice-cream maker or pour it into a plastic container, cover with a lid and freeze until firm but not rock solid. This will take about two hours. If using the latter method, after the two hours, transfer the ice-cream to a food processor and blend until smooth, then freeze for another hour. Repeat this process twice more, and then spoon it into six tall, freezer proof moulds - clean, small yoghurt pots are ideal. Freeze for at least 8 hours, or until firm.
6. To serve, peel the second mango and slice the flesh away from the stone. Halve the passion fruit and scoop out the pulp with a teaspoon. Cut the mango flesh into small, neat pieces and mix with the passion-fruit pulp.
7. Remove the kulfi containers from the freezer, and leave them at room temperature for five minutes, then turn them out onto serving plates. Spoon some of the mango and passion fruit salsa alongside and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe