- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 6 passion fruit
- 2 mango, diced into small cubes
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 10 g icing sugar
For the crï¿½me patissiere:
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 egg yolks
- 125 g caster sugar
- 40 g cornflour
- 500 ml milk
1. First make the crème patissiere. Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds, reserving both.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar until thick and pale. Beat in the cornflour.
3. Place the vanilla pods and seeds in a saucepan with the milk. Stirring constantly, bring to the boil.
4. Slowly pour the hot milk over the yolk mixture, whisking constantly as you do so.
5. Return the milk mixture to the rinsed-out saucepan and, stirring constantly, bring to the boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from direct heat and set aside to cool.
6. Halve the passion fruits and scoop out the pulp.
7. In a blender blend together half the cubed mango and all the passion fruit pulp to a puree. Pass the fruit puree through a sieve and sweeten to taste with icing sugar making a mango passion fruit coulis.
8. Cut the spring roll wrappers 8 even-sized large circles.
9. Place a portion of the cooled crème patisserie and mango in the centre of each spring roll wrapper circle.
10. Brush the edges of the wrappers with water and fold over into a half moon shape, sealing the edges well. Shape the filled wrappers into fortune cookie shapes.
11. Heat the vegetable oil until very hot. Fry the filled wrappers in batches until golden, removing with a slotted spoon and draining on kitchen paper.
12. Place 2 fortune cookies each on 4 serving plates. Drizzle the mango passion fruit coulis around the plates and dust with icing sugar. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe