- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 125 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the topping
- 4 eggs
- 185 g caster sugar
- 95 g desiccated coconut
- 100 g plain flour
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 2 large firm mango, grated
1. Butter and line a 23cm square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2 For the pastry, place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla essence and beat once more to blend everything together.
4. Fold in the flour and baking powder, and bring everything together into a soft, but not sticky dough.
5. Press this dough into the prepared tin, pushing it into the edges with your fingertips. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
6. Scrunch up a piece of greaseproof paper and place over the raw pastry Cover with baking beans and bake the pastry for 15 minutes until it's beginning to turn golden at the edges. This process is known as baking blind. Remove from the oven and discard the parchment and beans.
7. For the topping, place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk for 3-4 minutes until pale and doubled in volume. Fold in the coconut and flour, and pour in the coconut cream. Stir to combine.
8. Add the grated mangoes to the coconut mixture and pour over the pastry base.
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden and just set. Cool completely before cutting into slices and removing from the tin.
Rate This Recipe