- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 48 clams, cleaned
- 125 g lardons of bacon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 800 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 red bird's eye chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme
- crusty bread, to serve
1. Place the clams in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard any that have remained unopened; strain and keep juice.
2. In a separate saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp. Add the onion, celery, chilli and carrot, cook for a further 10 minutes on a low heat.
3. Tip in the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, until soft.
4. Stir in the tomatoes and the reserved clam cooking juices. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the clams and thyme and season to taste. Serve straight away with lots of crusty bread for dunking.
Rate This Recipe