- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- large pinch dried thyme
- 4 ciabatta, split and toasted
- sliced creamy cheese, such as port salut or oka
- 1-2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, stone removed, sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- handfuls alfalfa sprouts
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
2. Wipe the mushrooms with a clean, damp kitchen paper and cut out the stems. Mix the olive oil and garlic together in a bowl, then brush over the underside of the mushroom caps. Lay the mushrooms gill-side up on a baking sheet and lightly score with the tip of a sharp knife, taking care not to cut all the way through the caps.
3. Drizzle the maple syrup and vinegar over the gills, then sprinkle with thyme and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lay the oily garlic slices over the surface and finish with the remaining oil. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until soft, juicy and sizzling.
4. To serve, place the grilled Portobello mushrooms in between the toasted ciabatta rolls. Top with slices of cheese, tomatoes, avocado and onion. Finish with a bunch of alfalfa sprouts.
Rate This Recipe