- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- sunflower oil, for greasing
- 200 g flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 75 g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- yellow and red food colouring
- chocolate sauce and toasted pieces of almonds, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Lightly oil a 20cm cake tin.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl and tip in the sugar, butter, eggs and milk.
3. Use handheld electric beaters to beat the ingredients together until light and fluffy then sprinkle in the baking powder and beat to combine.
4. Pour the batter into the cake tin.
5. Dip a skewer into the yellow food colouring and run it through the batter in a swirl pattern. Repeat with the red food colouring.
6. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
7. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool.
8. Serve drizzled with chocolate sauce and toasted almond pieces.
Healthy tip: This cake should be eaten in small amounts or as an occasional treat. For more information on healthy eating see eatwell.gov.uk.
Rate This Recipe