- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 3 hours 40 minutes to 4 hours 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: medium
- 800 g beef fillet, cut from the centre
For the Marinade:
- 1 full bodied red wine
- 1 tbsp dried herbs de provence
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
For the Gorgonzola polenta:
- 1.2 litres water
- 200 g quick-cook polenta
- 60 g parmesan, grated
- 100 g gorgonzola cheese, diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the Oven-dried tomatoes:
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- sea salt
- caster sugar
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 110ºC/gas a quarter.
2. Prepare the tomatoes. Slice the tomatoes in half and place them cut side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, sugar and thyme leaves and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
3. Place the tomatoes in the oven for 3-4 hours until semi-dried. Allow to cool completely before attempting to move them. Once cool transfer to an earthenware dish ready for re-heating.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the marinade. Place the wine, herbs de Provence, shallots, garlic and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook briskly uncovered until reduced by two-thirds. Set aside to cool completely.
5. Trim the beef of any excess fat and sinew. Using a pastry brush, brush the beef liberally with the cooled marinade. Wrap firmly in cling film, forming a large sausage shape. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the polenta. In a large saucepan bring the water to the boil.
7. Add the polenta and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the polenta thickens and leaves the sides of the pan.
8. Remove the polenta from the heat and add the Parmesan and Gorgonzola, mixing in well.
9. Spoon the polenta into a greased roasting tray, spreading out until 5cm thick. Set aside to cool completely. Once cool cut the polenta into 10cm circles, using a cutter.
10. Preheat the oven to 110ºC/gas 1/4. Place the semi-dried tomatoes in the oven to warm through for 30 minutes.
11. Meanwhile, preheat a griddle until very hot. Unwrap the marinated beef and slice into 4 steaks.
12. Cook the steak on the griddle until cooked to your taste. Place the griddled steaks in a roasting tray and place in the oven to rest for 20 minutes alongside the tomatoes.
13. While the steak is resting complete cooking the polenta. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the polenta circles and fry until golden-brown on each side. Remove and keep warm.
14. Place the fried polenta circles on 4 warmed serving plates. Top with the beef and surround with the semi-dried tomatoes. Drizzle any tomato juices over and around the beef.
Rate This Recipe