- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus marinating time
- Effort: easy
For the cucumber relish:
- 125 ml rice vinegar, or Mirin or white vinegar
- 115 g caster sugar
- 1 Lebanese (short) cucumber, quartered lengthways and finely sliced
- 2 red Asian shallots, or half a red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli, seeded and finely sliced
- 2 small chicken
For the marinade:
- 1 bunches coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 60 ml olive oil
- sprigs coriander
- wedges of limes
1. Soak eight wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes to stop them from burning during cooking.
2. Slash each chicken half a few times to allow the marinade flavours to penetrate. Run a wooden skewer through the flesh of each chicken piece to secure to the joints, and place in a large baking dish.
3. For the marinade: put the coriander, peppercorns, salt, garlic, lime juice and oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour over the chicken pieces, rubbing well into the flesh, and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours, bringing back to room temperature in the last 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the barbecue to high. Place the chicken halves on the barbecue and cook, cut-side down, for 6-8 minutes. Turn and cook flesh-side down for a further 5-6 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Alternatively, preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7. Place the chicken on a baking tray, skin-side up, and bake for 30-35 minutes.
5. For the cucumber relish, put the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over a medium heat, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool. Pour into a bowl, add the cucumber, shallots and chilli and stir to combine.
6. Serve the chicken with the cucumber relish, lime wedges and the cucumber relish.
Rate This Recipe