- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 24 hrs marinating
- Effort: medium
- 2 large duck breast, sliced in half lengthways
- 300 ml olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 tbsp ginger, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 300 ml dry white wine
- 150 ml water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 roasted pepper, skinned, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 1/2 bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
For the mushrooms
- 225 g mushrooms, : small field mushrooms, button mushrooms, flat mushrooms and morel mushrooms, stalks removed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chillies, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add in the, garlic, ginger and carrot and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring but not browning.
2. Add the wine, water, oregano, chilli, soy sauce, red pepper and honey and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add in the spring onions and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
5. Marinate the duck breasts in the cooled marinade in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
6. Remove the duck breasts from the marinade and roast or grill the duck breasts until cooked to taste.
7. While the duck is roasting or grilling prepare the mushrooms. Heat the olive and sesame oils in large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the chili and garlic and fry until soft but not brown.
8. Add in the assorted mushrooms, turning them well in the oil.
9. Cover the frying pan, reduce the heat and cook very gently for 7 minutes.
10. Spoon the mushrooms into a shallow dish and set aside.
11. Add the soy sauce and white wine to the frying pan, bring to the boil and cook briskly for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey.
12. Add in the coriander, mint, salt and freshly ground pepper, plus more extra-virgin olive oil and soy sauce if required. Pour this over the mushrooms.
13. Serve the duck with the mushrooms.
Rate This Recipe