- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the mackerel
- 2 whole mackerel, heads removed and gutted
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 4 tbsp damson ketchup, plus extra for dipping
For the remoulade
- 4 tbsp homemade or good quality bought mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
- 1/2 small celeriac, cut in julienne strips
1. Preheat your grill or griddle pan.
2. Slash the mackerel at intervals all along the body on both sides. Season inside and out with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Squeeze over the lemon then rub the damson ketchup over the skin and into the slashes on both sides of the fish.
3. Grill or griddle the fish for 5 minutes without moving it. Once coloured on the one side, gently turn the mackerel and grill or griddle the other side for about another 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
4. For the remoulade: while the mackerel cooks, mix together the mayonnaise, yoghurt, mustard, lemon juice and herbs. Season to taste. Immediately mix the celeriac with the mayonnaise to prevent it from turning brown. Taste again and add a little more lemon juice or mustard if necessary.
5. Serve the grilled mackerel with the remoulade and a little extra damson ketchup to dip into.
Rate This Recipe