- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus marinating time
- Effort: easy
For the marinade
- 2 lemons
- 50 g sea salt
- 50 g caster sugar
- 20 g white peppercorns
- 20 g star anise
- 20 g coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 5 tsp brandy
For the salad
- 350 g salmon, skin on
- 120 g white crab meat
- salt andfreshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- 60 g spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1.5 tbsp thinly sliced pickled ginger
For the dressing
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- pinch arrowroot
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 100 ml olive oil
1. Finely grate the zest of the lemons, then juice them and set the juice aside. Put the zest in a food processor with the salt, sugar, peppercorns, star anise, coriander seeds, lemongrass and brandy. Blend together to a paste.
2. Spread the spice paste all over the flesh side of the salmon, then cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours.
3. Next day, rinse the marinade off the salmon. Remove the skin and the brown fat and flesh beneath it. Slice the fish into 5mm thick slices. Season the crab with salt and pepper.
4. For each portion, place a 14cm metal ring on a serving plate and arrange one quarter of the salmon in the ring. Spoon one quarter of the crabmeat evenly over the salmon. Garnish with a quarter of the chives, coriander, spring onions and pickled ginger and remove the ring.
5. To make the dressing, bring the lemon juice and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the arrowroot and soy sauce and mix to a thick, smooth sauce consistency. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the olive oil. Drizzle the dressing over the salmon and crab and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe