- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30 minutes marinating
- Effort: easy
For the marinade
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
For the chicken
- 1 x 1.3 kg chicken, spatchcocked
- splash beer, or water
- 2 lemons
- paprika, for sprinkling
- olive oil, for drizzling
- splash white wine
- 1 tbsp bramley apple chutney
- buttered greens, to serve
1. For the marinade: mix together the olive oil, paprika, garlic, lemon zest and juice and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. For the chicken: brush the marinade all over the skin of the spatchcocked chicken, then place into the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Heat a large griddle pan to medium-hot, then add the chicken skin-side down. Cook for 20-30 minutes on each side, covering the pan with a lid. Add a splash of water or beer if the pan becomes too dry. When the chicken is cooked through, remove from the heat and cover with foil. Set aside to rest.
4. Cut the chicken into portions, squeeze over some the juice of half a lemon and season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and paprika. Drizzle over a little olive oil.
5. Return the pan to the heat and deglaze with a splash of white wine, scraping up any browned bits from the pan with a wooden spoon. Pour the contents of the pan into a small saucepan, adding a bit more wine and any juices from the rested chicken. Cook until the volume of the liquid has reduced by half.
6. Stir in the bramley apple chutney until well combined, then strain the sauce through a sieve.
7. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve with buttered greens.
Rate This Recipe