- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: easy
- 55 g currants
- 55 g sultanas
- 4 tbsp marsala
- grated zest of 1/2 lemons
- 175 g puff pastry
- 25 g butter
- caster sugar, for sprinkling
- 1 egg, eaten
- rum-flavoured mascarpone
- mixed summer berries
- sprigs mint
1. Mix together the currants, sultanas, Marsala wine and lemon zest in a bowl. Cover and leave to marinate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
3. Roll out the puff pastry thinly. Using a cutter or tumbler, cut out pastry rounds approximately 6cm in diameter.
4. Place a small spoonful of the currant mixture in the middle of each pastry round. Add a tiny knob of butter and a sprinkling of sugar.
5. Brush the outer edges with egg and pinch the edges to seal. Repeat the process until all the pastry rounds have been used up.
6. Place the Eccles cakes on a lined baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Cut a tiny slit in the centre of each Eccles cake.
7. Bake the Eccles cakes for 10 minutes, until golden. Remove and cool.
8. Serve the Eccles cakes with rum mascarpone, berries, mint and tuile wafers.
Rate This Recipe