- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 2 hours marinating time
- Effort: easy
- 1/4 sticks cinnamon
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 12 lamb cutlets
For the coconut rice
- 200 g basmati rice
- 70 g butter
- 1 small (50g) onion, finely chopped
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 200 ml milk
- pickled carrots
- shoots of coriander
- lime juice
1. Put all the spices into a blender and grind into a powder.
2. Put the lamb cutlets into a ziplock freezer bag, add the ground spice and shake until the lamb is well coated. Seal the bag and leave to marinate for 2 hours.
3. For the coconut rice: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Wash and drain the rice.
4. Melt 40g of the butter in a flameproof, ovenproof dish until foaming, then fry the onion for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the rice and stir, using a wooden spoon, until the rice is coated in the butter.
5. Combine the coconut milk and milk in a separate saucepan, bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and pour over the rice. Stir well and season with a pinch of salt.
6. Cover the dish with a lid and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid and is al dente. Cut up the remaining butter and dot over the rice, then cover with a lid and allow to melt for a few minutes before fluffing up the grains with a fork.
7. Pan fry or grill the cutlets over a medium heat until cooked but still pink in the middle.
8. Serve the cutlets with the coconut rice and a dollop of carrot pickle. Squeeze over a little lime juice and garnish with coriander shoots
Rate This Recipe