- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 170 g egg whites, (4-5 eggs)
- 470 g caster sugar
- 300 g water
- 16 g leaf gelatine, soaked in cold water
- 1 lemon, orange or lime, finely grated zest only
- toasted desiccated coconut, for coating
1. Whisk the egg whites to soft peak in a large, spotlessly clean bowl.
2. Put the sugar and water in a pan and bring to the boil. Bubble away until the mixture reaches 126C on a sugar thermometer. Remove from the heat and stir in the gelatine.
3. Pour the hot sugar syrup slowly onto the egg whites, whisking at all time. Continue to whisk at a slow speed until completely cool.
4. When cool, add in whichever citrus zest you have chosen (or you could use a little finely grated dark chocolate). Pour into a tray and leave to set overnight.
5. When set, cut into 2.5 cm squares and roll in toasted desiccated coconut.
Rate This Recipe