- Serves: Makes 50
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 12 hrs setting
- Effort: medium
- sunflower oil, for oiling the dish and utensils
- 8 leaves gelatine
- 340 ml water
- 600 g sugar
- 1¼ cups corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g icing sugar, plus extra for rolling
1. Oil a large glass dish with sunflower oil and then line it with foil. Oil the foil. Soften the gelatine in half of the water, in the bowl of an electric mixer.
2. Put the sugar, corn syrup, salt and the rest of the water into a saucepan and boil for about 8 minutes, until it reaches the soft ball stage.
3. Fit a whisk attachment to the mixer and starting on a low speed, carefully beat the hot liquid into the gelatine mixture until the gelatine dissolves and the mixture starts to thicken. Add the vanilla and then pour into the lined dish. Smooth over with an oiled spatula and leave uncovered in a cool place (but not the fridge) for 12 hours.
4. Sieve icing sugar over the top of the marshmallow, at the same time adding a generous scattering over a cutting board or work surface. Turn out the marshmallow onto it and dipping a sharp knife or cutter into oil, cut out whatever shapes you desire.
5. Coat in more icing sugar and store in an airtight tin until ready to serve.
Rate This Recipe