- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 600 g potatoes, peeled
- 4 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp hulled and split urad dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 30 fresh curry leaves
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 5 green chillies
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1. Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, then lightly crush them with a fork or potato masher.
2. Set a karhai, wok or pan about 20 cm in diameter over a medium heat. Pour in the oil and when its hot, add the urad dal. Stir for a few seconds until the grains turn a shade darker.
3. Add the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop, then drop in the curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the pieces are translucent.
5. Now pour in 120ml of water. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring now and then, until the onion softens completely.
6. Add ¾ of a teaspoon of salt along with the turmeric, chillies and ginger. Mix well for 2 minutes.
7. Make sure that all the liquid has evaporated, then add the potatoes. Fold them in, making sure they are completely incorporated with the spices.
Rate This Recipe