- Serves: 3
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 g split Bengal gram lentils, soaked in water for 3 hours and drained
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 dried chilli, chopped
- 6 curry leaves, chopped
- 1 piece ginger, (2cm)grated
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, oasted
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Tips and Suggestions
Bengal gram is also sold in Asian grocers and health food shops as chana dal.
1. Coarsely grind the drained lentils in a food processor or pound them in a mortar and pestle. The lentils should have a bit of texture and not be completely smooth. Tip them into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the shallots, green and red chillies, curry leaves, ginger and fennel seeds. Mix well and using your hands, shape the mixture into 3 cm diameter patties.
3. Deep fry in hot oil until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper and serve straight away with a dollop of Indian chutney.
Rate This Recipe