- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sauce
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 heads fennel, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeds and stem removed, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- pinch dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 glasses red wine
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
For the meatballs
- 750 g minced pork
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tins cooked cannelloni or butter beans, drained
- 1 chorizo sausage, cut into large chunks
- 1 small handful parsley, chopped
- crusty white bread
1. For the sauce: heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan or casserole dish, then lightly fry the chopped fennel, onion, red pepper and carrots with the garlic, chilli flakes and smoked paprika. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
2. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping up any browned bits at the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the chopped tomatoes, then simmer for 1 hour, until cooked down and thickened.
3. For the meatballs: mix all of the meatball ingredients together, then roll into balls with damp hands. Add to the pot and cook for about five minutes.
4. To serve: stir the beans and chorizo into the stew, then simmer for a further 10-12 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked and the stew has thickened. Stir in the parsley, then serve in bowls with crusty white bread.
Rate This Recipe