- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hour soaking
- Effort: easy
For the meatballs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 mild chilli, finely chopped
- 800 g minced beef
- 50 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning, (see cook's note)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400 g jar of tomato passata
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 7 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 7 tbsp smoked hickory sauce
For the shoestring fries
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into long, thin strips and soaked in cold water for 1 hour
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4 burger buns
- large handful grated mozzarella, or cheddar cheese
Tips and Suggestions
Cajun seasoning is a blend of spices and herbs used to season meat, poultry, fish and sauces. You can buy it ready made in the spice section of most supermarkets
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. For the meatballs: tip all of the meatball ingredients into a large bowl and mix together with your hands.
3. Take a small handful of the mixture and roll into a golf ball-sized meatball. Repeat with the remaining mixture, arranging the meatballs on a baking tray as you go. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
4. For the sauce: while the meatballs are cooking, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion and fry for 4-5 minutes until soft and golden then add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
5. Stir in all of the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes, or until reduced to a thick, rich tomato sauce.
6. For the shoestring fries: while the sauce is simmering, drain the potato strips and dry thoroughly with kitchen paper or a clean tea-towel.
7. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer to 160C. Carefully add the potato strips to the oil and fry for 5 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
8. Increase the temperature of the oil to 185C then return the fries to the oil and fry for another 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt, to taste.
9. Preheat the grill to high.
10. To serve: split the buns almost in half, so they open like a butterfly, then place under the grill, turning once, until toasted on both sides.
11. Spread some of the sauce over the buns, arrange the meatballs down the centre of each bun and scatter over the grated cheese. Return them to the grill for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve with the shoestring fries.
Rate This Recipe