- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg squid, cleaned tentacles cut off, chopped and reserved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 ml brandy
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 5 tinned anchovies, chopped
- 3 tbsp capers, chopped
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 300 ml white wine
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped, to garnish
- steamed couscous
For the stuffing:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- reserved squid tentacles, (see above)
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 85 g breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
1. First make the stuffing. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add in the onion and fry gently until soft and golden.
2. Add the reserved squid tentacles and fry for a further 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Remove from the heat and add in the tomatoes, breadcrumbs, garlic, eggs and parsley, mixing well. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Stuff the squid with the stuffing mixture, allowing a little room for the stuffing to expand during cooking. Seal the ends with cocktail sticks.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large, lidded, deep-sided, heavy-based frying pan and fry the stuffed squid for 2 minutes.
6. Pour over the brandy and carefully set alight. Once the brandy flames have died down, add in the garlic, anchovies, capers and chillies.
7. Sprinkle with the flour and add the wine.
8. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour.
9. Sprinkle over the parsley and serve.
Rate This Recipe