- Serves: 4 as a light meal
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 ciabatta bread, split in half widthways
- 1 x 400 can avocados, in olive oil, drained
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g chorizo, finely sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp vinegar, for poaching
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- salt and black pepper
For the hollandaise sauce
- 250 g butter, unsalted
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinches cayenne pepper
1. Heat a griddle over a moderate heat. Brush the ciabatta and artichokes with a little olive oil and cook on the griddle until they are lightly toasted. Cut the bread into 8 equal-sized pieces and leave on one side.
2. Fry the chorizo until crisp in the remaining olive oil. Remove from the pan and leave on one side.
3. For the blender hollandaise sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Put the egg yolks and vinegar into an electric liquidiser or food processor, along with the lemon juice; season with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Process the ingredients, gradually pouring in the hot butter as you go. Continue to blend until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
4. Three-quarters fill a large saucepan with a 10cm depth of water and add a teaspoon of vinegar. Bring the water to a boil before reducing the heat to very low.
5. Crack each egg, in turn, into a cup and carefully slide the egg from the cup into the water. Poach each egg for 3 minutes, until just set.
6. To serve; lay the grilled bread pieces on plates and top with the artichokes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the poached eggs from the water and place over the artichokes.
7. Spoon over the hollandaise sauce and arrange the crisp-fried chorizo on top. Scatter with chopped coriander before serving.
Rate This Recipe