- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 15 mins infusing time
- Effort: medium
- 185 g caster sugar
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 4 cloves
- 185 g butter, unsalted
- 300 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- crème fraîche, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat half the sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat until it melts. Remove the pan from the heat.
2. Add the cardamom pods and cloves and leave to infuse for 5-10 minutes.
3. Whisk the whole eggs and the remaining sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
4. Strain the syrup and return it to the pan. Add the butter and chocolate and stir over a gentle heat until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is completely smooth.
5. Stir the chocolate mixture into the eggs, making sure it's thoroughly combined.
6. Pour the mixture into 8 small ramekins and place in a large baking dish. Pour boiling water into the tin, until it reaches two-thirds of the way up the side of the ramekins. Bake for 15 minutes, until just firm to the touch - the centre should still be soft. Serve straight from the oven, accompanied with a generous dollop of crème fraiche.
Rate This Recipe