- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: medium
- 225 g membrillo (quince cheese), (membrillo)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oloroso sherry, or other full-bodied sweet sherry
- 300 ml double cream, preferably Jersey
- oil, for greasing
- 140 g whole blanched almonds
- 3-6 tbsp unrefined caster sugar
1. Put the membrillo in a saucepan with the lemon juice, water and sherry. Stir over gentle heat until melted.
2. Whip the cream until it holds softly but isn't stiff.
3. Lightly grease a baking tray.
4. Spread the almonds in a single layer in a non-stick frying pan over gentle heat. Sprinkle the sugar over them. Stir as the sugar melts and turns the colour of butterscotch, but not dark brown.
5. Remove from the heat instantly and pour on to the greased baking tray. Leave to solidify, then use a rolling pin to bash it into small chunks and little shards.
6. Fold the cream into the melted membrillo mixture, then fold about a third of the almond brittle into it. Reserve the remaining brittle.
7. Freeze in an ice-cream machine following the manufacturer's instructions. Alternatively, pour into a freezer-proof container and cover the surface with cling film. Freeze until hard.
8. About 30 minutes before serving, put the ice cream in the fridge to soften.
9. Serve with a bowl of the remaining brittle to scatter sparingly over the top.
Rate This Recipe