- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus cooling time
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the meringues:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinches salt
- 220 g caster sugar
For the peaches:
- 110 g sugar
- 225 ml water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp orange flower water
- 6 peaches, quatered, stones removed
- good quality vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. For the meringues, preheat oven to 120C/gas 1/2.
2. Whisk the egg whites and salt until it forms stiff peaks. Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time beating continuously until all sugar is dissolved and meringue is glossy and thick.
3. Spoon out eight meringues onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and cook for 1 hour 20 minutes. Allow to cool in the oven.
4. For the peaches, put the sugar, water, cinnamon and orange blossom water in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until dissolved. Add the peach quarters and simmer for 5 minutes or until the fruit is tender. Remove the peach quarters and peel off the skins. Return the peach skins to the poaching liquid and boil until liquid is reduced to syrup. Strain the syrup over peaches.
5. To serve, crush the tops of the meringues and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on each one. Place peach pieces on side and drizzle with a little of the syrup.
Rate This Recipe