- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 115 g chocolate
- 1.2 litres water, or milk, or a mixture of both
- 200 g masa harina, (finely ground corn)
- 30 ml piloncillo ordark brown sugar
1. Put the chocolate in a mortar and grind with a pestle until it resembles a fine powder. Alternatively, you could grind the chocolate in a food processor.
2. Pour the liquid into a heavy-based saucepan and gradually stir in all the masa harina using a balloon whisk until the mixture is smooth.
3. Place the pan over a moderate heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time until it thickens.
4. Stir in the ground chocolate, and add the piloncillo or brown sugar. Pour into mugs and serve straight away.
Cook's tip: If you can't get hold of Mexican chocolate, process 115g dark bitter chocolate (minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids), 25g ground almonds, 50g caster sugar and 2 tsp ground cinnamon in a food processor and follow the recipe from step 2.
Rate This Recipe