- Serves: 12
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 12 thick coarse-minced pork sausages
- 12 soft hot dog rolls
- 250 ml soured cream, to serve
- 160 g grated cheddar cheese, to serve
For the hot chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 80 g carrots, chopped
- 10 habanero chilli
- 60 ml lime juice
- 60 ml white vinegar
- 1 tsp english mustard
For the guacamole
- 2 avocados, halved and stone removed
- 2 limes, juice only
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
For the coriander salsa
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 10 spring onions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
Tips and Suggestions
The sauce will keep for several months in the fridge, and longer if frozen. Just pour any leftover sauce into sterilised jars, put them in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Allow them to boil for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave the jars to cool in the water.
If youre not up to making your own sauce you can buy one, just make sure its made with habanero chillies as they have a fantastic fruity and fiery character.
1. For the hot chilli sauce: heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Gently sauté the onion and garlic until soft but not coloured.
2. Add the chopped carrot, chillies, lime juice, vinegar, mustard, a teaspoon of salt and 250ml of water. Simmer until the carrot is soft.
3. Place the mixture in a blender. Dont worry if you think the mix is too watery it needs to have a bit of liquid. Blend until smooth. Be careful - this sauce is as hot as Hades!?
4. For the guacamole: use a fork to roughly mash the avocados in a bowl. Add the lime juice, spring onion, tomatoes and coriander. Season to taste and stir to combine.
5. For the coriander salsa: combine all the ingredients just before youre ready to serve.
6. To make up the hot dogs, slowly chargrill or barbecue the thick pork sausages.
7. Slice the hot dog rolls lengthways and fill each one with a sausage topped with guacamole, salsa and hot chilli sauce. Add a dollop of sour cream and top with grated cheddar.
Rate This Recipe