- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 400g tin of canned chopped tomatoes, in juice
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 courgette, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cabbage, shredded
- 50 g green beans, chopped into 2cm lengths
- 2 litres vegetable stock, fresh or made using 2-3 stock cubes
- 1/4-1/2 of one chillies
- several pinches of dried oregano, crumbled
For the garnish:
- 350 g corn tortillas
- 5 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
For the home-made salsa:
- 1/2 an onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2-1 green chillies, chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and half the garlic and fry, stirring often, for 5-8 minutes or until the onion is softened, then stir in the paprika and chilli powder, and cumin.
2. Cook the spices for 1-2 minutes.
3. Stir in the chopped tomatoes with their juices, and then add the carrot, courgette, cabbage, green beans and vegetable stock.
4. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer over a medium heat until the vegetables are tender (that is, verging on the soft rather than al dente) for around 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the remaining garlic along with the fresh chilli and oregano.
6. Meanwhile, make the salsa by mixing together the onion, garlic, salt, chilli and coriander.
7. Warm the soup through and serve in bowls garnished with a handful of tortilla chips, a sprinkling of coriander leaves and a wedge of lime, with the salsa on the side.
Rate This Recipe