- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: medium
For the sweet pastry
- 375 g flour
- 250 g butter
- 125 g sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
For the filling
- 2 jars mincemeat
- 3 mandarins
- 2 apples, finely diced
- splashes cognac
1. For the sweet pastry: put the flour in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar and the egg together with a splash of water to make a paste. If using a mixer use the paddle and mix for 2 minutes. Do not overmix.
2. For the filling: mix the mincemeat with the fruit and cognac. Cover and leave to marinate overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
4. Tear off a small piece of dough and push up the sides of deep muffin tins so that you have a thin lining of pastry up the sides and on the base.
5. Fill each one with a good helping of the mincemeat mixture so that it reaches three-quarters of the way up the side of the tin.
6. Roll out the remaining dough and cut out rounds slightly bigger than the top of the moulds for the lids. Place on the top and gently push down. Prick the lid with a knife and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
8. Dust the mince pies with icing sugar and cool on a wire rack.
9. Serve warm with fresh cream.
Filo pasty sheets: cut into 10cm squares: brush well with butter on each layer of 4 sheets and place a spoonful of the mixture in the middle and fold up into a parcel, brush with a little beaten egg and bake at 200C/gas 6.
Ready-made puff pastry: roll out each sheet and cut into 10cm squares. Fill each square with a spoonful of the mixture and fold over to make a triangle. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 200C/gas 6 for 15 minutes. Dust with icing sugar when cooked.
Rate This Recipe