- Serves: makes 2.7kg, enough to fill 6 jam jars
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 2 oranges, finely grated zest and juice
- 2 lemons, finely grated zest and juice
- 250 g shredded suet, or butter, chilled and grated
- 275 g raisins
- 275 g currants
- 275 g sultanas
- 125 g mixed candied peel, chopped
- 650 g soft dark brown sugar
- 50 g almonds
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 75 ml Irish whiskey, or brandy
Tips and Suggestions
if you are making your own suet (the fat that surrounds the beef kidney), make sure that every trace of blood has been removed before you whiz it in the food processor, otherwise it will cause the mincemeat to go off.
1. Place the apple chunks in a small saucepan with 1 teaspoon of water, cover and cook over a low heat for about 810 minutes until the apples are cooked down to a pulp. Allow to cool.
2. Mix with all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and put into sterilised jars.
3. Leave to mature, if possible for at least 2 weeks before using.
Rate This Recipe