- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus 1 hr rising
- Effort: easy
For the dough
- 320 g strong white flour
- 1 tbsp dried milk powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 sachet easy-blend yeast
- 160 ml tepid water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the filling
- 3 tomatoes, skinned, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 sprigs basil, torn
- 2 tsp chilli-infused olive oil
- 2 x 125 g balls mozzarella, chopped into small chunks
- 100 g Parma ham, chopped into small pieces
- 100 g pepperoni sausages, chopped
- 50 g anchovy fillets, chopped
- 25 g freshly grated parmesan
1. For the dough : sift the flour and milk powder into a large bowl, stir in salt, sugar and yeast and make a well in the centre. Mix the water and olive oil together, then pour into the flour and stir quickly until combined. Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, then place into an oiled bowl, cover the top with clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
2. For the filling: whilst the dough is rising, mix together the tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil and chilli oil in a small bowl and leave in the fridge to infuse for 1 hour.
3. Once it has risen, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for a minute or so, then roll it out as thinly as possible. Use an 8cm round cutter to make circles of dough and spread each with a little of the tomato sauce, leaving a border. Dot over the mozzarella, ham, pepperoni, anchovies and a sprinkling of parmesan. Brush the edge with a little water, then fold in half and press to seal, twisting the edge a little. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until the bread feels firm and has turned golden brown. Transfer to a platter and serve hot.
Healthy tip: This contains ingredients which are high in salt and fat such as Parma ham, pepperoni and parmesan cheese so these should be eaten in small amounts. For more information on healthy eating see eatwell.gov.uk.
Rate This Recipe