- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the meringues
- 4 egg whites
- 250 caster sugar
- 1/2 strawberry balsamic vinegar
For the strawberries
- 250 g strawberries, sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
For the cream
- 500 g mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 125 ml double cream, lightly whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 130C/gas 1/2. Whisk the egg whites until very stiff. Beat in the sugar and vinegar a little at a time.
2. Line a couple of baking sheets with baking parchment and pipe out 18 circles or rounds. Make 6 of them a little fancier by piping lots of little rosettes on top. These will act as lids.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until dried and crisp.
4. Meanwhile, place the strawberries in a pan with the balsamic vinegar and sugar. Cook gently for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Set aside to cool.
5. In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone cheese with the vanilla extract and sugar and fold in the lightly whipped cream.
6. To assemble the dessert, place a round of meringue in the centre of each of 4 plates and top with the balsamic strawberries. Add a dollop of the cream mixture and lay another meringue disc on top.
7. Repeat with the strawberries and cream and finish with a decorative 'lid' of meringue. Pour around a little more of the balsamic strawberries and serve.
Rate This Recipe