- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: medium
- 1 large bunch of mint, chopped
- 500 ml water
- 150 g sugar
- 300 ml double cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 250 ml milk
- juice of 1 lemons
- juice of 1 oranges
1. Place the mint, water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for the flavours to infuse for 30 minutes.
2. Strain the syrup, discarding the mint leaves. Chill the mint-flavoured syrup in the refrigerator.
3. Whisk the cream in a bowl until lightly thickened.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yolk and milk until blended and combine with the whipped cream.
6. Pour into a heavy-based saucepan and simmer, stirring constantly, until the custard has lightly thickened. Set aside to cool before thoroughly chilling in a refrigerator.
7. Stir together the mint syrup, lemon juice and orange juice and combine with the chilled custard.
8. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn, following manufacturer's instructions until the mixture sets into ice cream.
9. Transfer to a freezer-proof container and freeze until serving.
Rate This Recipe