- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g piece of rump steaks
- 1 aubergine
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- olive oil, for sauce
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 2-3 fresh chillies, chopped
1. Slice aubergine into 1.5cm thick slices. Score the aubergine slices very lightly. Put them on a barbecue and cook until caramelised on both sides.
2. Roughly chop the anchovies and pound them in a pestle and mortar.
3. Finely chop the rosemary, add this to the pestle and mortar along with a squeeze of lemon juice, the lemon zest and a generous sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper. Pound the mixture together. Add enough olive oil to make a sauce with a runny consistency.
4. Trim the fat from the steak and cut into 6 x 1.5-2cm steaks, slicing through the grain. Beat each piece of steak vigorously to tenderise and flatten it. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the spinach to a pan of boiling water.
6. Put the steak onto the grill while the aubergine continues to cook. They will only take 2-3 minutes to cook on both sides.
7. Meanwhile, mix the chopped chillies with some olive oil. Remove spinach from the pan and leave to rest on a plate. Tear the grilled aubergine into rough pieces.
8. To serve, layer the aubergine, spinach and steak pieces one by one, seasoning with the anchovy sauce as you go. Finally, slice the last steak through the middle and arrange on top. Season with more anchovy sauce and finish with a drizzle of chilli.
Rate This Recipe