- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250 g butter
- 100 ml double cream
- 3 eggs
- 275 g caster sugar
- 550 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 500 g mixed frozen summer berries
For the mixed berry sauce
- 100 ml water
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 g mixed frozen mixed summer berries
- 150 ml whipped cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Grease and line a 20cm round spring form cake tin with greaseproof paper. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Split the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds into a small pan. Add the butter, cream and vanilla pod to the pan and warm through over a low heat take the pan off the heat once the butter has melted and leave to cool. Remove the vanilla pod.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Gently fold the butter and cream into the eggs and sugar.
4. Sieve the flour with the baking powder and fold into the mixture with the lemon zest, followed by the frozen berries.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and the cake is firm to the touch.
6. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
7. For the mixed berry sauce: dissolve the caster sugar in the water over a medium heat. Add the mixed berries, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
8. Dust the cake with icing sugar and serve drizzled with the warm mixed berry sauce. Accompany with a big dollop of whipped cream.
Rate This Recipe