- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.0833333333333333 hours 5 minutes
- Prep Time: plus 20 mins soaking for chillies
- Effort: easy
For the salsa
- 500 g tomatoes
- 5 chipotle chillies
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp American mustard
- black pepper
- 150 manchego cheese, or Gouda cheese, grated
For the rolls
- 4 crusty finger rolls
- 50 g butter, softened
- 1 x 225 g canned refried beans
- 150 manchego cheese, or Gouda cheese, grated (or substitute cheddar cheese)
- green salad, to garnish
1. To make the salsa, preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 4. Cut the tomatoes in half and place in a roasting tin. Roast for 45 minutes or so, until charred and softened.
2. Meanwhile, soak the chillies in cold water for about 20 minutes, until soft. Drain, then discard the stalks and seeds and roughly chop the flesh.
3. Remove the tomatoes from the oven, cool slightly and remove the skins. Chop them and put them in a blender.
4. Add the garlic, chillies and red wine. Process until smooth and then add the oregano, honey, mustard, salt and pepper.
5. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and cook over a moderate heat until the mixture boils. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until reduced and thickened.
6. To make the molettes, cut the rolls in half and take a sliver off the base so that they lie flat. Remove a little of the crumb.
7. Spread them evenly with the butter and arrange them on a baking sheet. Grill for about five minutes, or until they are crisp and golden.
8. Heat the refried beans over a low heat in a small saucepan.
9. Scoop the beans into the rolls, then sprinkle the grated cheese on top. Pop back under the grill until the cheese melts. Top with the tomato salsa, garnish with salad leaves and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe