- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 6 hrs chilling
- Effort: medium
- 7 tbsp brandy
- 5 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 5 tbsp water, warm
- 200 g sponge fingers, such as Savoiardi
- 250 g salted butter
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks, from hard boiled eggs
- 250 g whipping cream, whipped
1. Mix the brandy with three tablespoons of the Amaretto and the warm water.
2. Dip each Savoiardi biscuit very briefly into the liquid. Use them to line the base and outsides of the prepared bowl.
3. Pass the egg yolks through a fine sieve into a bowl.
4. With a wooden spoon, mix in the butter, sugar and two tablespoons of Amaretto liqueur.
5. Take half of the egg mixture and pour on top of the biscuits in the bowl.
6. Top with half of the whipped cream and then repeat the process.
7. Cover the top with some more Savoiardi biscuits that have been dipped into the liqueur and then refrigerate for six hours, or overnight if possible.
8. When ready to serve, invert the dessert onto a serving plate, dust heavily with icing sugar and decorate with holly leaves if desired.
Rate This Recipe