- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 30 mins resting
- Effort: medium
For the strudel dough
- 200 g strong strong bread flour, or type 00 pasta flour
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 100 ml cold water
- butter, for glazing
- flour, for dusting
For the filling
- 1x400 g can pitted morello cherries
- 50 g ground almonds
- 70 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 75 g unsalted butter, melted
- clotted cream
1. Preheat oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Place the flour in a large open bowl or on a work surface and make a well in the centre.
3. Pour the sugar, oil and egg into the well and start to draw it together with your fingers, slowly working outwards to draw in the surrounding flour. Add the water a little at a time as you go to make a slightly sticky dough and knead until smooth. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl.
5. Next, roll the dough out as thinly as possible into a large square and brush with a little melted butter. Lay out a large clean cloth or tea towel and scatter with a little flour.
6. Cut away any thick edges of the dough and lay it over the cloth before spreading the filling on top. Using the cloth to assist you, roll the dough up into a long thick cylinder and place on a non-stick baking sheet. Brush with a little more butter and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
7. When cooked, leave to cool slightly, then slice into portions and serve warm with clotted cream.
Rate This Recipe