- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the chilli and garlic pitta crisps
- 4 pitta bread, cut into wedges
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
- 1/2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- pinches sea salt
For the soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp freshly ground toasted cumin
- pinches sugar
- 400 g tinned chickpeas, drained
- 600 ml vegetable or light chicken stock
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp coriander, leaves and stalks, chopped
Tips and Suggestions
Use vegetable stock to make a vegan version of this simple soup
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. For the chilli and garlic pitta crisps: Mix the pitta wedges in a bowl with the olive oil, garlic and chilli. Place on a baking tray in a single layer and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.
3. For the soup: heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the celery, onion and some salt and pepper. Cook on a low heat with the lid on until soft but not coloured, for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the cumin and cook for another minute, then pour in the tomatoes and all their juices along with the sugar. Add the chickpeas and the stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Once the simmering has taken place add the lemon juice and chopped coriander. Check the seasoning and season to taste. Serve in a bowl with the pitta crisps on the side.
Image credit: Rachel's Favourite Food for Friends Published by Gill & Macmillan, Dublin
Rate This Recipe