- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus marinating, resting and overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
For the goat
- 1x2kg leg of goat
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt
For the chickpeas
- 200 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 800-900 ml chicken stock
- 1 large red chilli
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
For the harissa yoghurt
- 200 ml Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp harissa
1. For the goat: slash the meat deeply. Rub the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, oil and salt all over the meat, making sure you reach inside all the incisions. Leave to marinate for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Place the leg of goat on a roasting tray, season with a good pinch of sea salt, then cover the meat loosely with foil. Roast for 4-6 hours, or until the meat is meltingly tender.
3. For the chick peas: meanwhile, heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large casserole dish or heavy saucepan. Tip in the onion, carrot and garlic and fry until the onion starts to turn translucent. Drain the chickpeas and stir into the dish or saucepan until coated in the oil. Pour in the stock and add the whole chilli. Bring to the boil and skim off any scum. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour-1 ½ hours, checking occasionally to see if the liquid needs to be topped up.
4. When the chickpeas are tender, remove the whole chilli. Squeeze out its insides, discarding the skin, then finely chop the remaining flesh. Stir through the chickpeas along with the flat leaf parsley and a glug of olive oil. Season to taste.
5. For the harissa yoghurt: stir together all the ingredients.
6. When the meat is cooked, leave it to rest in a warm place for 15 minutes, then carve into generous slices. Serve a couple of slices of the meat with the warm chick peas and a good dollop of harissa yogurt.
Rate This Recipe