- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 ml olive oil
- 5 aubergines, thinly sliced
- 3 potatoes, thinly sliced
- black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400 g minced pork
- 4 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- 500 ml evaporated milk
- 250 ml water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100 g plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Lightly brush a 2 litre capacity ovenproof dish with a little olive oil and preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the aubergine slices, a few at a time, until golden brown, adding more oil to the pan between batches, as necessary. Remove the aubergine slices from the pan as they are cooked and set aside on absorbent kitchen towel.
3. Repeat the process with the potato slices.
4. Place 2 layers of the aubergine slices into the prepared dish and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Follow this with a layer of potatoes and season again.
5. Make the meat sauce. Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onions over a medium heat until softened. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until thickened.
6. Add the pork and continue stirring until the meat is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Pour the meat sauce over the potatoes to cover them completely and sprinkle over half of the Parmesan cheese.
8. Add 2 more even layers of aubergine slices.
9. To make the topping, pour the evaporated milk into a saucepan and add the water, butter and flour. Stir continuously with a balloon whisk until the mixture is smooth and has almost come to the boil. Continue stirring until thick.
10. Remove the sauce from the heat, season to taste and allow it to cool slightly. Stir in the beaten eggs.
11. Pour the sauce over the aubergine slices and scatter the remaining Parmesan evenly over the top.
12. Cook for 1.5 hours, until the topping is set and golden brown. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe